Phyn wants to make Phyn websites easy for you to navigate and Phyn Products easy for you to use. We are constantly improving Phyn websites and Phyn Products to make them more user-friendly.
Phyn may collect both Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. “Personal Information” means any information that can be used to identify you. Some examples of Personal Information include your name, address, email address and phone number. “Non-Personal Information” means information that on its own cannot be used to identify you. Some examples of Non-Personal Information include usage data relating to Phyn websites and Phyn Products, language preferences, and Phyn website page views.
Information may be aggregated and/or anonymized. When information is aggregated, it is combined with information about other customers and users. When information is anonymized, Personal Information is removed from collected data and the remaining portion of the data, containing only Non-Personal Information, is repurposed for internal or external use, such as, for example, to determine how many users of a particular router include an Internet-enabled television in a home network environment, or how many users viewed a particular website video or advertisement. Aggregated information that includes Personal Information is considered Personal Information until it has been anonymized. Anonymized information is considered Non-Personal Information. In general, usage data collected when you visit Phyn websites or use Phyn Products is both aggregated and anonymized so it does not identify you personally and is therefore Non-Personal Information.
The Phyn websites and Phyn Products are not directed to, nor does Phyn knowingly collect Personal Information from, children under the age of 13. If we are informed that we have collected the Personal Information of a child under the age of 13, we will delete that Personal Information from our systems. If you believe we might have inadvertently collected Personal Information from or about a child under the age of 13, please contact us at info@localhost.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us. If you fill in forms on Phyn websites or correspond with us by phone, email or otherwise, you may be providing us with information about you, which may include Personal Information. This includes information you provide when you register on Phyn websites, register or return a Phyn Product, subscribe to any of our services, search for a product, place an order on Phyn websites, participate in discussion forums or other social media functions on Phyn websites, enter a competition, promotion or survey, participate in a training session or other event, download firmware, software and apps, or when you report a problem with Phyn websites or Phyn Products or otherwise request support. Personal Information you give us may include your name, address, email address, phone number and other contact information, financial and credit card information and any other information that can be used to personally identify you.
Information we collect about you. We may automatically collect information when you use Phyn websites or Phyn Products, including:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (“IP”) address used to connect your computer or other device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and language preferences. This information is all normally provided by your web browser, and we do not specifically request it.
- Information about your visit to Phyn websites, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (“URL”) clickstream to, through and from Phyn websites (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, videos watched, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
- Any phone number or email address used to contact customer support.
- Usage data about how and when you use Phyn Products, other devices that are connected to Phyn Products and what features of Phyn Products you use.
- Technical information and data gathered when your Phyn Products are connected to the Internet, such as how many and which devices are connected to your home network, when you use the devices and the amount of network traffic generated. We also collect environmental data when you use certain Phyn Products, such as water settings and readings in the home.
- If you consent, certain apps may collect information about your location. If you do not want this information collected, do not consent, or consult your device manual for instructions on how to change location settings. Information we receive from other sources. We work closely with third parties who provide services to us (including, for example, business partners, subcontractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and we may receive information about you from them.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes. These purposes will be consistent with the reason you provided the information to us or for a directly related purpose. The uses we make of such information include the following:
- To set up an account for you on Phyn websites or Phyn Products.
- To facilitate your purchase and/or download of Phyn Products.
- To authenticate use of your account or purchases and/or use of a Phyn Product.
- To register your Phyn Product in our product database.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us.
- To assist you with customer support.
- To communicate about and administer participation in customer promotions and surveys.
- To provide the Phyn Products or any services you request.
- To provide you with information about the Phyn Products you use, such as new features, bug fixes, service downtimes or upgrades.
- To help us develop new Phyn Products and improve current Phyn Products.
- To provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. We (or selected third parties) will contact you by electronic means only if you have opted-in to receive marketing information. “Opt-in” means that you have taken an affirmative action to receive information, such as by checking a box or clicking a button.
- To notify you about changes to Phyn websites and Phyn Products and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To administer Phyn websites and Phyn Products for internal operational purposes, including troubleshooting, data and statistical analysis, testing, research and survey purposes.
- To improve Phyn websites and Phyn Products and to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device.
- To ensure the security of Phyn websites and Phyn Products.
- To monitor and regulate interactive features of Phyn websites and Phyn Products that you may choose to participate in, including online forums and chat rooms relating to Phyn Products.
- To help you navigate Phyn websites.
- To help you access and use certain features of Phyn Products remotely and to help you monitor and safeguard your home and home network.
- To provide you with information and recommendations about Internet and utility usage in your home.
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others who visit Phyn websites and to deliver relevant personalized advertising to you and others.
- To determine which aspects of Phyn websites and Phyn Products are most useful to you and other users of Phyn websites and Phyn Products.
- Within Phyn for purposes of data processing or storage.
- With business partners, service vendors, authorized third-party agents or contractors to provide a requested service or transaction, including processing orders, hosting websites, storing your information, providing email communications on our behalf and providing customer support. We only provide these third parties with the minimum amount of Personal Information necessary to complete or provide the requested service or transaction, and we do not allow third parties to use your Personal Information for a different purpose than what was disclosed to you.
- With service providers, advisors or other third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition or sale of all or a portion of our assets. If Phyn merges with or acquires or is acquired by another entity, Personal Information would be transferred as a whole to the successor entity.
- To comply with the law or legal process (such as responding to subpoenas or court orders), to comply with government reporting obligations and to exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
In addition, we may share aggregated and anonymized Non-Personal Information, including usage data about Phyn Products, with third parties for a variety of purposes, including to analyze trends about home networking and utility use, to show third parties how their products could work with Phyn Products and to generally improve home networking. We’ve taken steps to ensure that this information cannot be linked back to you and we require third parties to keep all shared information in its anonymized form.
Any third parties with whom we share your Personal Information are required to maintain the confidentiality of the information and are prohibited from using it for any other purpose. We will take all reasonable steps to make sure these third parties comply with the same privacy principles that govern our collection of your personal information.
When making purchases on the Phyn website, Phyn uses a payment processor to verify your payment card information. Your payment card information is passed through to the payment processor and is not collected or stored by Phyn. The payment processor is authorized to use this information only to authenticate your purchase and for no other purpose.
You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Information for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your Personal Information) if we intend to use your Personal Information for marketing purposes, or if we intend to disclose your Personal Information to any third party for marketing purposes.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION
ACCESSING AND UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We need your help in keeping your Personal Information accurate and up to date, so please notify us of any changes to your Personal Information. You can access and update your Personal Information and communication preferences at any time in the following ways:
- By clicking the “Unsubscribe” link in any email you receive from us.
- By sending an email to info@localhost. Please be sure to include your name, email address and specific relevant details about the information you would like to change or the material that you no longer wish to receive.
- For many Phyn websites and Phyn Products, by signing in to your online account located at the URL provided when you signed up for the Phyn website or service. We will honor your reasonable request to:
- Correct your data if it is inaccurate.
- Transfer your Personal Information to a third party.
- Delete your Personal Information, unless we are required to retain it by law.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
COOKIES, WEB BEACONS AND OTHER WEB TOOLS
We use automatic data collection tools like cookies, embedded web links and widgets (collectively, “web tools”). These web tools collect certain information that your browser or your mobile device sends to Phyn websites and Phyn Products, such as computer IP address, browser type and service provider. In addition, Phyn uses small pieces of code called web beacons. Web beacons allow a website to transfer or collect information through a graphic image request. This allows Phyn to collect information such as the address of the page you are visiting, the address of the referring page you previously visited, what browser or mobile device you are using, and your display settings. Phyn and its advertising partners use web beacons, for example, to find out if advertising on Phyn websites and other websites that contain Phyn ads is effective, or if certain videos on Phyn websites are being viewed.
Phyn may use web tools for the following purposes:
- To identify the user’s country and language and distinguish you from other users of Phyn websites.
- To save your registration information for future use on Phyn websites and services.
- To allow customer surveys to appear or not appear to customers.
- To optimize your browsing experience by preloading certain features of Phyn websites and services on future visits to make loading times faster and more efficient.
- To understand how you use and interact with Phyn websites and services.
- To customize and provide you with a more personal experience when visiting Phyn websites or our advertising partners’ websites or when using Phyn Products or services.
- To improve Phyn websites and services.
- To count visitors to Phyn websites and Phyn Products and analyze website traffic, such as how many visitors have come to the Phyn websites from advertisements on advertising partner websites. You have the following choices regarding Phyn’s use of web tools:
- You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your browser or mobile device. However, many features of Phyn websites and Phyn Products may not work as intended if you disable cookies, and areas that require registration or authentication and Phyn website store transactions will not be accessible.
- For some Phyn Products, you can go into the account settings and select an option that will remove you from personalized advertising. If you select this option, you will receive generic advertising as part of these Phyn Products rather than advertising that has been tailored based on your preferences.
- Many advertising companies are members of the Digital Advertising Alliance or the Network Advertising Initiative and provide opt-out choices on their websites.
In addition to Phyn’s use of web beacons on Phyn websites, we allow certain third parties who provide Phyn advertising on their websites to use their own web beacons within Phyn websites. In that case, if you click on or view a Phyn ad on one of our advertising partners’ websites and are redirected or go to the Phyn website, the advertising partner places a web beacon on your browser so that we can track advertising conversions (which let us know if an ad was effective). These web beacons will appear on your browser regardless of whether you have refused to accept cookies or indicated that you do not want to be tracked on Phyn websites or on the Internet generally. However, they are only used by Phyn for the limited purpose of tracking advertising conversions and do not identify you personally in any way.
Third parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use Phyn websites. To avoid tracking by these third parties, you can exercise the choices above to reject cookies, although Phyn has no control over and cannot confirm whether these third parties honor the do not track browser choices you have made.
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the information collected by Phyn websites and Phyn Products. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not 100% secure. Although we will do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its security; any transmission is at your own risk.
It is important to note that if you use a computer or device that can be accessed by others, other people may be able to access unencrypted Personal Information. If you do not want your information to be available to others, exercise caution when using public computers or devices or when using any computer or device to which users unauthorized by you may have access.
We recommend that you take every precaution in protecting your Personal Information when you are on the Internet. For example, change your passwords often, use a combination of letters and numbers when creating passwords, and make sure you use a secure browser. You should also be aware that names that you give your Wi-Fi-enabled devices, home networks and services (also known as “friendly names”) may be detectable by others outside your home, so you should not use Personal Information as part of your friendly names.
UPDATES AND UPGRADES
Phyn Products may be updated or upgraded from time to time to provide additional features, address technical issues, and generally make your user experience better. Some Phyn Products include an auto-update feature, which gives us the ability to make updates automatically. You can change auto-update options by changing your settings within the Phyn Product account information. In very limited cases, updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting. For example, we may provide an automatic update that prevents or fixes a security vulnerability or breach to your network.
THIRD PARTY AND SOCIAL MEDIA LINKED SITES
If you participate in or post information to a discussion forum or chat room on any Phyn website or Phyn Product, you should be aware that the information you provide there will be made broadly available to others, and can be read, collected, forwarded or used by other users of these forums, potentially inside or outside Phyn, who have access to that forum. This information could also be used to send you unsolicited messages. Please recognize that individual forums may have additional rules and conditions. Each participant’s opinion on a forum or chat room is his or her own and should not be considered as reflecting the opinion of Phyn. We are not responsible for Personal Information or any other information you may choose to submit in these forums, or the consequences of any submission. If at any time you would like to remove a posting, please email us at info@localhost. Keep in mind that removal of a posting from a forum or chat room does not mean that the posting will be deleted from our systems, or that it has been completely removed from the Internet.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Updated January 8th, 2018