I got a “Freeze Warning” alert what does this mean and what should I do?
Phyn sends a Freeze Warning alert when it detects that ice crystals have started to form inside your pipes causing the water pressure to gradually rise from your normal baseline pressure.
When you receive this message you should take action to avoid a pipe burst from built-up pressure.
What can I do?
- Open Faucets – Run all of your faucets at a slow drip, especially those serviced by outdoor water lines.
- Turn up the Heat – Turn up your thermostats to warm up your home and pipes in your walls.
- Open Cabinets and Close Vents – Open doors that have plumbing behind them, like under-sink cabinets. This will let the warm air to warm your pipes. Close outside vents and crawl space access doors. Also, properly insulate your outdoor spigots with a foam cover.
- Warm up your Pipes – Identify the area of pipes that is exposed to the cold. Heat the pipes using a hair dryer or wrap them in towels soaked in hot water. You can also use a portable space heater. If you can’t access the affected area, you may want to call a plumber.
- Have a Basement? – Turn on a space heater and wrap pipes near outside walls with foam pipe insulation. Don’t leave space heaters unattended.